February 2, 2013

Mug Brownie Trial and Error

I do love me some Betty Crocker Warm Delights bowls. Mmmmmm..... And the husband loves brownies, but only when they are fresh from the oven. And he wants more than just that little bowl. He eats a few brownies, then I eat the rest of the pan over the next two (if even that) days. We're talking a 9x13 pan here. Not the little one. Nope. That would be just too easy.

So I saw this great idea that you could put brownie mix in a mug and add some water and you could have an instant brownie from the microwave. Well, yeah. That didn't work out so well.


Two of the three mugs there have been in the sink all day soaking trying to get the hardened mass of burnt sugar out of them. One of them still has the fork stuck in it! And the third, well, that was a darned good brownie from the microwave.

Save yourself from eating an entire pan of brownies, money, calories, and crap ingredients that you don't need and make your own brownie in a mug mix. Want to save time? Mix up the dry ingredients and store them in baggies for a quick mix. I think I might just do that tomorrow... Oh! And have the kiddo measure your dry ingredients for you! It's a quick kitchen and math lesson all in one! Added bonus: you don't have to do it :)

There are many recipes out there for these, but I tweaked one I found a smidgy, so I think I can now call it my own, right?

Kris's Warm Yum-Yums (mug brownies)
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp dark brown sugar (not packed)
2 Tbsp baking cocoa (Hershey's Special Dark baking cocoa is my current fav)
Pinch of salt
2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp vegetable oil (or canola or whatever. just not olive oil. eww)
Splash of vanilla
1 Tbsp mini chocolate chips (totally optional)

Put wet ingredients in mug. Add dry. Mix it up good. Remove your fork. Put it in the microwave for 60 seconds and check it out. Should be just small wet looking spots on the top. If large, zap it for 20 second intervals until you get your desired doneness*. Let it cool a bit and then eat it. And enjoy it.

*Apparently doneness is not a word. Well, screw you internet dictionary. I also made up the word smidgy in this post so deal with it!*

1 comment:

Brittney said...

Haha this is great!